Anticipating Bitcoin Breakouts and Understanding Cyclical Crashes
Fables, whales, cartoons, twitter, media, technical analysis, group therapy in the aftermath of downfalls
Understanding the bitcoin market is acknowledging that it behaves in part according to its environment, much like other equities it seems to follow a community influenced pricing. This short text opens the way to a logical, game-theoryesque analysis of possible targets & breakouts for the BTX pairs using medias analysis.
Whales (aka. investors with a lot of capital) use the public drive to make gains. The average trader (except for hodlers) gives momentum to the prices swings but they lack strenght in their influence.
Every new cycles, new levels are set by the community of traders, influencers, miners, analysts, the media, the exchanges, the regulators… These cycles often overlap each others. It is crucial to approximate when and how a breakout will happen.
Some factors influencing bitcoin prices:
- “Common sense” aka. psychological levels that seem to appear out of the chatter arbitrarily. It acts as a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy of the wisdom of the crowds.
- Trust among social media, whereas a lack of trust is being shown when users/influencers make stupid-high moon calls (“guides/motivators” are trying to energize bored and deceived traders).
- The presence of cryptocurrencies in the News.
- When whales are hungry or need to rebalance their portfolios.
- Different institutional projets (banks, credit, politic, law)
- Volume and market capitalization
Technical analysis (TA) studies not the maths but the interactions of the community as a whole. It encourages, feeds and confirms the general sentiment and spasms of the ensemble. Bitcoin investing is one thing, the global social projet around cryptocurrencies and the blockchain technology are other things. One cover for the others in a continuous exchange across medias and means of communication.
The whales listen to the noise from the depths. Smart money thrives on distanciation from the crowds.
During downtrends, if all the “heads” of the community (writers, notorious twitter accounts/trading view accounts) are bearish, the average small traders will follow. Resourceful traders with enough money to be in the red will catch and accumulate bigger chunks of the market, therefore encouraging the prices to drop even more.
If there is such a thing.
Following this I will be building a folder of different TA methods, popularity tracking tools and order books I use to monitor XBT price action. This text is an open reflexion. Some proofing needs to be done to confirm some ideas.
Note: I do not own the illustrations or profit from them.