I am looking for a little bit of advice in regards to recovering a bitcoin core wallet from an old laptop, due to the age of the system and an issue I am having with getting 100% hard drive usage I am not confident I will be able to update bitcoin core before the laptop’s hard drive fails as bitcoin core is around 8 years out behind on the system so I am considering taking a copy of the wallet.dat file and moving it to a new system with an up to date version of bitcoin core but I have a few questions in regards to this.
1. Since I am in the UK where bitcoin core is no longer available for download should I just use my VPN to access a region where it can be downloaded or take a copy of the original .exe file from the downloads on my old laptop and use that to install it on one of my newer systems? **** EDIT I have confused the [bitcoin.org](https://bitcoin.org) issue with [bitcoincore.org](https://bitcoincore.org) ****
2. Do I have to use bitcoin core or can I move and access the wallet.dat file from a different wallet program?
3. Since I can just open bitcoin core on the laptop I am assuming I don’t have a password on it but could there be encryption on it that may prevent me from loading the wallet.dat file on a new system? I don’t remember setting it but that’s not to say I didn’t so is there was a way to check this?
4. Since the copy of the wallet will on both systems does that mean that as long as there’s bitcoin in that wallet it would be technically visible on both machines (if the laptop’s bitcoin core was up to date)?
5. Are there another methods of recovering this wallet I should consider or is this the best option?
Just a side note, the 100% hard drive usage is an intermittent issue where it either maxes out or is very high with basic processes, with bitcoin core running if any other processes start up in the background like windows ones it will max out the hard drive which means updating bitcoin core goes at a snail’s pace, I have tried many different methods to resolve this but I think that the hard drive is just too old at this point.