A day after the former chairman of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, Jay Clayton, stepped down, the watchdog has its new chief in the face of Elad Roisman.
- Hester Peirce, an SEC Commissioner who’s well-known within the cryptocurrency community for her stance on a potential Bitcoin ETF, broke the news that the Commission has a new Chairman.
- According to Peirce’s tweet, taking up the position would be Elad Roisman.
Congratulations, Chairman Roisman! I look forward to your leadership of the SEC.
— Hester Peirce (@HesterPeirce) December 24, 2020
- Roisman was sworn in as a Commissioner back on September 12th, 2008.
- The news got the community excited because of some of his remarks regarding digital assets and “initial coin offerings and blockchain” in particular. Back then, he said:
It is essential that the SEC approach these new challenges in a fair and transparent manner, provide clarity and certainty to the markets and investors, and enforce the laws and regulations that hold market participants accountable.
- In any case, the years under his term would most definitely be exciting to watch, especially in regards to a potential Bitcoin ETF approval. This is especially interesting now that many institutional investors have already jumped on the bandwagon.
Featured image courtesy of Business Insider