It’s been a frustrating few months if not YEARS trying to find a wallet that works **well**. Here are some of my complaints after trying a bunch of desktop and mobile wallets out:
1. A bunch of wallets either take only 12 or 24 words. Many just take one and refuse to allow you to use another. Example is Exodus. You can only use 12 words. Too bad you generated a 24 word seed at some point. You cannot recover your wallet.
2. [BIP39](https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039.mediawiki) seems to allow 12, 15, 18, 21, 24 words. For wallets nice enough to accept either 12 or 24, I have yet to see one that accepts anything in between.
3. BIP39 passphrases are neat but a lot of wallets either don’t take them or have their own implementation (e.g. Blockstream Green).
So in theory you have a nice ecosystem for Bitcoin but the problem is every piece of software uses things differently. What does that mean for me?
1. To recover forked sh!tcoins, very few solutions work. Having a BIP39 passphrase means most wallets fall apart. It’s not that I want to use other coins, but forked values aren’t insignificant either. I want to claim them and move on with life.
2. If one wallet becomes unreliable (e.g. Coinomi going from open source to closed source), jumping to another wallet might not be easy unless they have the exact same featureset. Thank goodness there are options out there, but it becomes limited if you use more advanced features. For example, I cannot use Exodus as I showed above (lack of 24 word support).